Cepheid is committed to reducing the indirect and direct impact of our business operations and products on the environment. This is demonstrated by:
- Investment in environmental programs that have significantly improved recycling diversion and reduced energy consumption.
- Excellent environmental regulatory compliance programs for all global locations.
- Minimization of hazardous waste and diversion to fuel-blending.
- Strict control of air and water emissions.
- Achieving multiple environmental excellence recognition awards
Environmental Performance Data for 2012
- Cepheid recycled 75% of all USA non-hazardous waste
- Global hazardous waste generation: 453 lbs./million $ sales
- Global energy consumption:
- Electrical: 28.3 kWh/million $ sales
- Natural gas: 465 Therms/million $ sales
Hazardous Waste Diversion
In 2013 Cepheid re-directed > 90% of the hazardous waste generated in the USA to be used as a secondary fuel source at fuel blending energy recovery operations to replace coal and natural gas. This is a safe and effective method of recovering the energy value of the waste and helps conserve our finite natural resources.
Cepheid has established several environmental goals:
- Maintain Certified Green Business status in Sunnyvale CA
- Maintain global facilities’ environmental regulatory compliance programs
- Recycle > 75% of all California non-hazardous waste materials
- Divert > 90% of all USA hazardous waste to fuel-blending energy recovery
Cepheid plans to pursue additional opportunities to further reduce hazardous waste, increase percentage of recycling diversion, and decrease energy consumption for all global operations.